# Industry Launch Guide–Video Entertainment
# Sector characteristics
Large volume: from January to May 2022, global downloads of entertainment products exceeded 3.4 billion, holding a huge potential as a whole.
Matching markets: the market in Southeast Asia-Indonesia has a revenue scale of up to 48%, and demographic dividends are significant. It can be considered a key area for entertainment development, and at the same time, it significantly overlaps with Xiaomi's strong market.
# Define goals
Part 0: Preparations
- Tracking link calibration: accurately connect the three parties; provide accurate package names and URLs
📢 Be sure to conduct tests before making placements to ensure normal redirection and attribution
Reference document: AppsFlyer (opens new window)
- Please postback the correct corresponding in-app event to ensure the effects of optimization (currently only supports AppsFlyer to user postbacks)
Naming conventions for postback events on Xiaomi's side:
Registration events: REGISTRATION
First purchase events: FIRST_PURCHASE
Purchase events: PURCHASE
Opening the app events: APP_OPEN
Custom event 1: CUSTOMIZE1 (custom events can be any event authorized by the advertiser. For example, a gaming app may evaluate "playing a demo", thus the advertiser can authorize "play" as a "custom event")
Custom event 2: CUSTOMIZE2 (custom events can be any event authorized by the advertiser. For example, a gaming app may evaluate "playing a demo", thus the advertiser can authorize "play" as a "custom event")
Custom event 3: CUSTOMIZE3 (custom events can be any event authorized by the advertiser. For example, a gaming app may evaluate "playing a demo", thus the advertiser can authorize "play" as a "custom event")
- When creating an advertisement, take care to ensure that the method of settlement is consistent with that agreed upon in the contract.
# Part 1: How to increase magnitude
Core concept 1: improve your eCPM performance to gain an advantage in bidding
|eCPM = Bid * CTR * (CVR) * 1000|
|Category||Performance issues||Solution||Tools||Examples for reference|
CTR performance generally below market average
How to tell if your CTR is low?
Video* references from Xiaomi's strong markets:
ID: 1~3%; RU: 0.8~2%
TR: 0.9~2.5%; BR: 1~2%
1. Objective factors: differs by product penetration rate, new products<知名产品
2. Divided into several situations; targeted improvement
- Distribution placement (icon): improve CTR by designing dynamic icons
- Image placement (native/interstitial):
- Direction for optimizing media: [Refer to: media guide] https://xiaomi.f.mioffice.cn/docs/dock4Sp2M0jv4H5clLkXYZ9Hcpc)
- Ensure update frequency of media: update to new material in 1-2 weeks
Entry: "Tools > Materials"
In one video product, use of localized writing in media significantly increased CTR by 40%+
Bidding generally lower than market average
How to know if your prices are appropriate?
Video* pricing references from Xiaomi's strong markets: [refer to: benchmark] (https://xiaomi.f.mioffice.cn/sheets/shtk4B6vl3XDvZ9egXasgdEThAf)
1. High-price CPI test: begin with a high unit price ad group to increase the chances of passing for cold-start placements; adjust unit prices after passing.
We recommend that you observe the changes in impressions for 2-3 days after changing the unit price and to avoid frequent price adjustments in a single day, which may affect the algorithm. Note that the ad group budget is controllable
2. Try CPC bidding to improve bidding power
Pay attention to the balance between the placement CPI and the settlement CPI
A video advertiser added CPC ad groups to increase magnitude to address their scaling needs. Results were positive, with daily conversions +1100 and cost +$1k.
And placement cost is controllable
1. Accumulated over 1k in clicks but still no conversions
Return to Part 0 and check if tracking link is normal
2. There are some conversions, but conversion rates extremely low
1. Troubleshoot P360 and other anti-cheating effects
If you've set filters for custom events, communicate with the operational team in a timely manner to prevent conversion attributions being deemed cheating.
2. Increase GetApps redirection links and improve conversion rates through the GetApps ecosystem
GetApps currently supports these countries: ID/IN/RU/VN/PH/MY/TH/TR
3. Narrow your target audience and tap into matching groups through accurate targeting
We recommend starting off with not too many criteria to ensure a basic traffic pool
- Preferred placements: view conversion status by siteid and select preferred placements with good conversion
- Increase target-audience packs: add corresponding competing products or packs for behavior groups of the sector
- Time-slot targeting: the video sector has better conversion in periods from late night to early morning
- Model/system targeting: often seen in products that do not support 64-bit/32-bit systems (we first recommend expanding to support both 32/64-bit); can select to block non-supported system types
Target audience pack generation tool
Entry: "Tools > Manage Audience"
In the same video product, redirecting to GetApps and redirecting to GooglePlay had over 6 times difference in conversion rate. Redirecting to GetApps obtained nearly twice as many conversions.
Core strategy 2: increase traffic coverage to maximize impressions
- Expand the market to Xiaomi's strong markets:
- Global distribution of Xiaomi's strong market [continuously updated] [2022Q3] Ranking in Canalys phone shipments
- Global distribution of anchor markets in the video sector
Use the "System Preferred Placements" tool
- Capability: using algorithmic strategies to expand coverage to more placements that meet requirements, including newly opened placements, historically neglected placements, and making full use of short, medium, and long tail traffic
- Advantage: no need for manual adjustments; automatically expands after one-click whitelisting
- Instructions: the ad group dimension strategy whitelist, apply through this procedure (opens new window)
- Outstanding case:
One video product expanded using system preferred placements and obtained a net 31% increase in magnitude
- Expand affiliate traffic
- Capability: aggregating affiliated traffic to expand the overall traffic pool and drive greater possibilities for magnitude expansion
- Advantages: provides traffic supplement for all models and in regions outside of Xiaomi's main markets
- Instructions: select corresponding placements or place orders on the corresponding AM
# Part 2: How to increase quality
# Manual optimization guide
Step 1: Comprehensive data analysis
Split by country to obtain the data table: siteid * eCPM * conversion * cost * KPI
Step 2: Preferred placements and portfolio bidding: balance quality & magnitude to maximize acquisition
Ads with good KPI but low volume should be supported and bids for them should increase→ increase eCPM
Ads with poor KPI but high volume should be suppressed have lower bids→ decrease eCPM
The combination ensures that the overall CPI meets standards, improving quality and maximizing magnitude at the same time
Step 3: Increase targeting and funnel optimization
Increase target-audience packs: add corresponding competing products or packs for behavior groups of the sector
Time-slot targeting: the video sector has better conversion in periods from late night to early morning
Model/System targeting: preferred models can be selected based on quality and performance
Network targeting: videos play more smoothly under Wi-Fi conditions
# New capability: take advantage of the "Automatic Bidding" tool to optimize retention
- Advantages: given a CPA unit price, automatically bids for each ad placement based on target retention. Reduces time spent on manual adjustments and improves retention efficiently.
- Limitations: currently only supports optimization of the day 1 retention metric
- Enable the postback of retention data (see Part 0 for details).
- Fill in the target day 1 retention rate when creating an ad group.