# Mi Ads Retention Index Optimization–Functional Guide
# Product introduction
# Product logic
- Mi Ads Smart Bidding's optimization product by day 1 retention rate is a placement tool that automatically optimizes deep conversion rates with conversions and day 1 retention as its optimization goals.You need to set conversion bids and target retention rates during placements. This product will make adjustments and optimize based on those targets, eventually achieving the goals in both conversion costs and day 1 retention.
# Available regions
Fully enabled S-ranked countries: IN, ID, RU
# Applicable industries
- Applicable clients
- Placement target: supports effect-type placements (app download).
- Settlement method: CPA
- KPI: clients with requirements for day 1/day 3/day 7 retention post-link metrics
- Budget situation: client has a relative sufficient budget in a single country.
- Sector category
- No current limits by sector.
# Prerequisites for use
Third party: client uses Appsflyer/Branch/Adjust (working on connecting to other third-party data capabilities)
Data postback: client supports in-app-event postback and has already configured relevant event fields in the third party
Budget situation: day 1 retention optimization strategies work better when average daily consumption of the pack dimension in a single country is more than $500
For example: account*pack*country daily consumption>= $500
Basic strategy: ad group levels need to enable the "preferred placements" capability
# Before placements
# Explanation on in-depth event postbacks
Optimizing for day 1 retention rates in products requires that the client use AF/Branch/Adjust as the third party and has already configured postback related event fields. We will optimize in-depth events based on these fields.
- Configuration pathway: AF-> Configuration-> Integrated Partners
- To ensure the effects of optimization, please communicate with the advertiser to ensure that correct mapping relationships are established, and pay attention to accuracy when configuring postback field names.
- For other third parties, configure your postbacks based on official documents.
# How to enable smart bidding
Currently, the "target retention rate" permission has been added to the Mi Ads account dimension. Once you've given permission, you can configure your target retention rate and the smart strategy will take effect.
Enabling pathway: advertisers/agents with requirements on day 1 retention + corresponding AM communicate to confirm target day 1 retention rate-> submit email application-> once whitelisted, you can configure your target day 1 retention rate on the foreground of Mi Ads
Email should include: Mi Ads account ID, pack name, target day 1 retention rate
(Recipient: zhaiyujia1, CC zhangrui28\gonwei7\wanghua7\xulijia1)
# How to set your target day 1 retention rate
Enter your account and select the ad group for which you want to optimize day 1 retention. Supports configuring different target rates for different ad groups.
# During placements
# Optimize day 1 retention rate of ad group to gain traction in cold start
When initially launching a new ad group, ensure a sufficient budget and that data attribution postbacks are correct, and relax assessment criteria when appropriate. For example, increase conversion bids, set lower or no target retention rates, etc. This will help the campaign explore its traffic and relevant users.At the same time, new ad groups will learn and refer to data from older ad groups to aid the process.
# How to improve day 1 retention rate
We recommend observing for 7 days after each adjustment (and 3 days at minimum). Changes in day 1 retention data requires some time to manifest, and repeated adjustments can interfere with data accumulation or modelling.Once the ad group has run for one data cycle, day 1 retention rate can be further improved:
- If both day 1 retention rate and quality are satisfactory, we recommend increasing conversion bids and target retention rate synchronously.
- If the ad group has met day 1 retention rate targets but is inconsistent, the main reason would be sparse in-depth conversions. We recommend further observation after increasing the budget and costs, as the strategic algorithm will automatically adjust and optimize.
- To further improve day 1 retention rate when conversion bids cannot be changed, small adjustments can be made to target retention rates; we recommend the range of each adjustment not exceed 5%. Increasing target retention rates without changing the conversion bid is equivalent to reducing the back-end bid, which can negatively affect the system and has a greater impact on the the ad group's magnitude.
Q1: What is an appropriate target day 1 retention rate for an ad group?
A: In theory, target rates can be configured based on client needs.If your target rate differs significantly, we don't recommend that you set the target to your KPI directly. Instead, observe your day 1 retention rates during regular placements and use this as a basis. Aim to increase in 5% increments as your optimization strategy.The main principle is to ensure placement magnitude while satisfying client requirements.
Q2: Do packs that have already achieved their target rates still need this optimization strategy?
A: We recommend that ad groups meeting conditions apply the day 1 retention strategy.Benefits include (1) reducing manpower for manual optimization and (2) the strategy can make use of long-tail traffic left over from manual optimization.
Q3: How are the preferred placement product and the day 1 optimization strategy product related?
A: We strongly recommend that preferred placements and day 1 retention optimization be used in combination. Preferred placements help use more adaptable traffic in one click and is the most efficient way to use the advertiser's budget. It also helps the optimization strategy allocate each placement's budget.
Owner of a social application
Client's target day 1 retention rate: 27%
Current day 1 retention rate: 28%
Meeting target?: Yes
Revenue increase: revenue in the most recent week vs. revenue one week before launch; average daily increase of $294
Effects: the day 1 retention optimization strategy reduces time required to manually observe AM. Smart deployment is based on the latest day 1 retention data, making more ad placements while still meeting the advertiser's requirements, thus bringing a small increase in magnitude.